1. What relationship is there between the law and sin [v7-8].
2. Look up all the 10 Commandments in Exodus 20:1-17.
How is coveting different than the others?
Coveting is about our thoughts, emotions, and desires. How and why is it helpful to see that the commandments are about internal attitudes before being about external behaviors?
Why do you think Paul used coveting to summarize his battle with sin? How do you struggle with coveting?
3. In what ways do you think that the commandments were intended to give us life? How was it then that the commandments ended up bringing death?
4. How do you think we can avoid legalism (obeying God’s law to earn his approval) by seeing His commands as holy, righteous and good? [v12]
5. Read Galatians 2:19-20 (try to read this in at least three different versions). What has Jesus Christ done that allows for us to “die to the law” and to
“live for God?”
6. Write out Galatians 2:20 in your favorite version and say it often each day this week. Keep it with you in a place where you will see it every day.
Ask the Lord to really make this truth real inside your heart.